The 20th Century
Throughout the two world wars, and in the difficult years between, the lodge faithfully played it's part in the promotion of freemasonry, and in the life of the town, as indeed it still endeavours to do today.
Bro. John Squire Bett P.M., was installed as Provincial Grand Master Depute, on Saturday 13th July 1946 in Lodge 24, to serve on the Commission of Brother John McCormack the R.W. Provincial Grand Master of the Province of Roxburgh, Peebles and Selkirk Shires. Bro. Bett held this office until October 1955, when his resignation was accepted with great reluctance by Bro. McCormack the P.G.M.
Brother Andrew Stenhouse P.M., was installed as Substitute Provincial Grand Master, on Thursday 18th November 1956, for the last five years of Brother John McCormack's term as P.G.M.
In 1963 the lodge celebrated its centenary, brother Thomas Sidney Stevens Right Worshipful Master in the chair, but by the end of the 60's, the lodge was finding it difficult financially to make ends meet. The decision was taken to form a social club and to convert the downstairs premises into the pleasant surroundings which they are today. This transformation took place during the term of office of Bro. Robert Potts as right worshipful master
During the 70's and 80's the lodge prospered both Masonically and socially. Every meeting of the Lodge, a candidate was initiated, passed or raised. Many social events took place, such as the annual ladies night and the Common Riding concert.
In 1988 the Lodge celebrated its 125th anniversary under the leadership of bro. Trevor Skelton Right Worshipful Master. As the lodge entered the 1990's the number of candidates started to wane and this has been the trend up to the present time of 2013.
On the 5th may 1995, in lodge St. James B.U.R.A., no 424 Brother James Brown, who is the first member of the Lodge to have achieved the office, was installed as Provincial Grand Master by the Right Honourable the Lord Burton, the Most Worshipful Grand Master Mason of Scotland.
The 21st Century
Brother Michael Peutrill was installed as Substitute Provincial Grand Master on the 19th June 2010, to serve on the Commission of Brother John Ferguson Lamb, Provincial Grand Master of Roxburgh, Peebles and Selkirk Shires.
Over the last one hundred and fifty years a long line of faithful servants have given a lifetimes service to ensure that this old Lodge continued to thrive, flourish and survive. Unfortunately we now appear to be in an age where Freemasonry is trying desperately to survive, but, hopefully as in the past the phoenix will rise from the ashes and Freemasonry will at the very least survive.
Bro. Kevin Ferguson has been installed as the right worshipful master for the last two years and will continue to be at the helm of the Lodge during the 150th Anniversary Celebration which will take place on Saturday 7th September 2013, when there will be a Ceremony of Rededication carried out by the Provincial Grand Lodge of Roxburgh, Peebles and Selkirk Shires, followed by a Degree worked by the Office Bearers of Lodge 424. A celebration dinner will finish of the proceedings.
Brother James Brown P.M. Hawick Lodge St. James B.U.R.A. No. 424 2013.